"No Lime" Search Engine

Custom Search

Saturday, May 14, 2011

True Life: I Used To Be Tanorexic

Want to look like me???

Or how about us??  
Click Here for Another Tanorexia Article!


For my NYs resolution this past year I decided to give up tanning cold turkey.  I have not gone tanning in over 4 months...not even once.  Prior to my NYs resolution I had been tanning almost every day and getting a spray tan almost every weekend.  Not only was it expensive ($46/month for tanning, $11 for a spray tan upgrade, $60 bottle of tanning lotion), but I also started to notice some signs of premature aging over time.  Ewwwww!  Once I noticed the signs of aging I rushed out to Walgreens and bought anti-wrinkle cream (for 40 year olds) and started using it after each time I tanned.  One day shortly after that I realized I had a tanning addiction to myself, "this is ridiculously counterproductive.  I should probably just stop tanning."  That's when I realized I had become...TANOREXIC!




 There have been studies that show that tanning can in fact be addictive.  Like running, tanning causes your body to release endorphins.  The links above discuss studies that found people who quit tanning reported increased anxiety.  Though tanning does has some benefits, the consequences outweigh them by far.  There are ways to get the same benefits with healthier options: 1) Exercise also causes your body to release endorphins, 2) Multi-vitamins, certain foods and/or 15 minutes of sunscreen protected sunlight will supply you with the same amount of Vitamin D, 3) Self-tanners or Spray tans will also give you a nice glow.  I use L'oreal sublime bronze gel.  I think the color looks natural and it is very modestly priced.  I actually like the way I look better now than when I was Tanorexic. L'Oreal Paris Sublime Bronze Tinted Self-Tanning Lotion, Deep, 5-Fluid Ounce



Some of my friends continue to go tanning even though they are aware of the harm it can do.  I don't think anything of them doing that as I'm not one to judge nor tell people what to do. Plus, just like alcohol and alcoholism not everyone who tans is tanorexic.  I'm glad I stopped tanning though because I'm keeping my skin healthy and making my mom and younger sisters happy.  They had been worried about it for years, but it took me a while to wise up and get past the vanity of it all.  If you keep tanning that's your choice, but hopefully this article at least got you thinking about it.





<--Me Tanorexic AND Me Now-->








No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?